[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul etc.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 22 15:15:10 CDT 2007

I think that this would be true only if one had already decided, for
whatever reason, that the anti-war movement has to be contained within
the Democratic party.  But since an antiwar electorate gave control of
the Congress to the Democrats, the Democrats have done all in their
power to neutralize and co-opt antiwar sentiment.

And that's not just another example of how both semi-official political
parties are well to the right of the electorate (also the case regarding
health care, housing, education, income supports, etc.).  It's a bromide
in the US that "politics stops at the water's edge" -- the Democrats
agree on matters of overall foreign policy with the Republicans
(including the neocons).  The real danger is that the public is slipping
away, and it's the Democrats' task to bring them back.

The Congressional Democrats have confined their objections (all verbal,
rather than effective) to the administration's *failures* in the war,
not to the policy that led to the decision to invade; in fact, liberal
Democrats (like the top-tier candidates) argue that the real objection
to Iraq war is that it's harmed that policy (the "war on terror").
That's why they immediately put impeachment and defunding off the table,
because those moves could call the policy into question.  (Impeachment
would raise the question of the legality of the war; defunding would
reverse the course of the war, rather than just modifying it).

The Democrats do think that they can gain some factional advantage (like
electing a president) out of Bush's failure to subjugate occupied Iraq.
  But they have to find a way to do it that also contains a recalcitrant
public within the overall policy.  As a result, the campaign features
remarkably irrelevant green-eggs-and-ham debates (would you meet with
foreign leaders?) and swearings of fealty to the Grand Design (as in
statements on Israel, or any speech by Obama, like Aug. 1).

As one Clinton think-tanker put it last month, "Once we get past the
election and reach the governing phase, I believe there will be
substantial consensus around many issues including our alliances, the
need for a strong military, and importance of backing up diplomacy with
military force."

Meanwhile, a large majority of Americans tell pollsters that (a) the war
is by far the most important issue facing the country, and (b) they want
it to end.  If the US were in fact a democracy, it's obvious that the
president elected in fifteen months would hold those views.  But we all
know that the chances of that are very small.  The democratic forms in
America are so controlled and guided that presidential elections are
exercises in minimal product-differentiation and marketing.  Most
Americans realize that and so treat them with the skepticism appropriate
to any other advertising campaign.  Three out of four of the eligible
voters will not vote for the eventual winner.

Under these circumstances, the election is largely irrelevant to the
anti-war movement, the instruments of which are as Ricky says "agitation
and eduction," no matter who's in office.  (The Vietnam War was not
ended by throwing the rascals out but -- among other things -- by
convincing the rascals who were always in that the U.S. would be
increasingly ungovernable if the war continued.)  But precisely because
a presidential campaign is primarily an exercise in establishing the
limits of allowable debate, it can also be an occasion to expose and
criticize those limits.

I see Dennis Kucinich's campaigns, in years past and this, as examples
of what's been called repressive tolerance.  He's grudgingly given a
place at the end of the debate line-up, and the media talk about how
short he is, but the Democrats can always point to him to show that
"extreme" views really are presented in the party.  His campaigns are
like the fenced "free-speech zones" set up outside the 2004 political
conventions.  They're safely contained, exist as an answer to an
objection, but can't become effective.

Perhaps just the same can be said of Ron Paul's campaign, but I have the
impression that it is supported by people who fairly recently would have
rejected "protesters" (like Kucinich) with contempt.  Someone is voting
for him in straw-polls and telling pollsters that he has their support,
and I think it's not so much people suddenly converted to Libertarian
economics as those who saw their anti-war vote traduced by the Democrats
thru the last nine months (also a principal reason that Congress'
approval rating is lower than Bush's).

But it's certainly a prudential judgment, which campaign will be more
effective in bringing anti-war pressure on the eventual candidates.
Chomsky points out that one of the signs of the low state of American
democratic forms is that in presidential elections the real issues are
set aside by the candidates' insistence that the campaign is about
"religiosity and guns" (domestic ones, that is).  It would be a shame to
aid in that distraction by supporting Kucinich because of his position
on abortion if it really is the case that a Paul candidacy would do more
to make effective the anti-war sentiment of the majority.