[Peace-discuss] Bush: Iraq=Vietnam

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Wed Aug 22 22:18:48 CDT 2007

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3512349&page=1

The President's Surprising Rationale for the Iraq War: Vietnam
President Bush Draws Parallel Between Vietnam and Iraq to Justify
Continued Fighting

Final section of this story:
  But for many listeners -- some of them veterans of the Vietnam War --
the president's comparison was not only inaccurate, it was distasteful.

  "I think it's really regrettable to me that the president really has
learned nothing from Vietnam," said Bernie Reilly, a West Point
graduate, Vietnam vet and father of a son who has served tours in Iraq
and Afghanistan.

  "It is perfectly right to compare Iraq with Vietnam," said Barry Romo
of Vietnam Veterans Against the War. "We got into Vietnam with a lie
about the Gulf of Tonkin incident and we got into Iraq with a lie about
WMD."