[Peace-discuss] Bush: Iraq=Vietnam

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 23 00:07:33 CDT 2007

The speech is a tissue of lies, of course, but it's proverbial that "A
lie travels round the world while truth is putting her boots on."

We probably should be doing a little truth-shoeing.  When the Champaign
City Council/Town Meeting considered our withdrawal referendum, the
mayor observed then that a withdraw from Iraq would produce a "bloodbath
like the withdrawal from Vietnam."  We pointed out that the bloodbath in
Vietnam was the war of more than a decade in which we killed millions of
people, but that makes little difference over against what "everybody
knows."

The only bloodbath in SE Asia after the Vietnam War was in Cambodia, a
country we hadn't occupied.  The US caused it by destroying the society
from the air -- and the Vietnamese ended it by invading Cambodia and
displacing the Khmer Rouge.

Incidentally, it's not quite right to say (as the article below does)
that "We got into Vietnam with a lie about the Gulf of Tonkin incident
and we got into Iraq with a lie about WMD."  US military involvement in
Vietnam predates the Gulf of Tonkin incident (1964): the US invasion of
the country took place two years earlier, because the people of South
Vietnam had the temerity to reject the government we'd picked out for
them. And though we are probably responsible for killing more than a
million Iraqis since the March 2003 invasion, we're also responsible for
killing probably even more (notably by sanctions and the Gulf War) well
before that date.  --CGE