[Peace-discuss] agenda item for Sunday 16 December 2007: Kinzer no war with Iran tour, possible C-U stop in Feb 2008

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 14 16:21:29 CST 2007

We'll put this on the agenda for Sunday's discussion.

Just Foreign Policy (and other groups listed toward the end of this email) cordially invite AWARE to help organize:
* a possible February event (Friday 15 Feb or Sunday 17 Feb)
* against attacking Iran and in favor of real diplomacy.
* main speaker will be Stephen Kinzer, author of "All the Shah's Men," about the U.S.-sponsored coup in Iran and the blowback from that. The book is being re-issued with a new forward, "The Folly of Attacking Iran."
* Kinzer is expected in Peoria on Saturday, February 16 (organized by C-U alumna Lisa Offutt.) [link to a draft schedule is below]
* Bob Naiman thinks we could get Kinzer here on Friday the 15th or Sunday the 17th.
* They might like help raising some money (e.g. through UIUC departments.)

[Mort and Barbara] hope that AWARE will help it happen.

[the real] Mort wrote:
>> What should enter in picking a date are 1) conflicts (I see none now), 2) the availability of a suitable venue, and 3) personal preferences.

Personal preferences have been stated from some:

Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
>> (peaceful types) are busy on Friday (contra
>> dance), so I vote for Sunday.

Current organizers:

organizing a tour in February against attacking Iran and in favor of real diplomacy. The main speaker will be Stephen Kinzer, author of "All the Shah's Men," about the U.S.-sponsored coup in Iran and the blowback from that. The