[Peace-discuss] Tim Johnson's office last Wednesday about Iran

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 14 17:08:41 CST 2007

Bob N and Barbara K, and Peace Discuss,

I counted 25 heads (see footnotes 1 and 2) at Tim Johnson's office asking him to critically think about the rhetoric about Iran.

The few people I heard speak made good points (Mort, Dave H., and Bob N. can better describe their points). Johnson's PR guy reminded us that Johnson was "against the surge" and "is an independent thinker". [But I will remind Rep. Johnson that he was a sucker for the rhetoric about Iraq, and this same rhetoric is being used right now -- so don't fall for it again.] The PR guy also mentioned that Rep. Johnson had constituents beyond Champaign-Urbana that may have different opinions.

At least 80% of the heads were grayhaired. Carol Inskeep may have been the youngest one there unless Bob Naiman is younger. Most were from CU, but 2 were from Danville and 1 from St. Joseph.

It was windy outside and crowded inside. The parking lot was fuller with us there, and of course it was gorgeous with loads of cool bumper stickers.

Attendees I recognized were: Bob Naiman, Carol Inskeep, Dave Harley, Doug, Joe Webber, Mort, Karen Medina [me], Bill Strutz, [did I see Paul Meuth there too?] and a few others. (see footnote 3).

At the Tim Johnson office event, we did mention the peace demonstration coming up on Sunday, 25 December 2007, on North Prospect for all the holiday shoppers to read our signs. Several people had not heard about it and mentioned that they might attend.

-karen medina
footnote 1: There were also at least 2 people who had cameras or I wasn't sure they were with the group, so there might have been more than 25.

footnote 2: I arrived late and 2 other people arrived after I got there. The group was already in Johnson's office, holding signs, and talking to the PR person. A microphone was being held by a person I could not see (WILL). I counted at least 1 other office person there (no coat on).

footnote 3: [The Tim Johnson's office event overlapped somewhat with the hearing about the Instant Runoff Voting not having enough signatures (2,000) though Mark Sheldon told Durl that they only needed 700. The hearing decided that it did not matter what Mark Shelden, the Champaign County Clerk, had said, but that 2,000 was required and we failed to come up with that many in the required time block].