[Peace-discuss] Thanks to AWARE *whatever that is*

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Wed Feb 7 18:35:35 CST 2007

AWARE responsible for election of  majority of  city council members???
  and therefore after much shouting at city council meetings, AWARE is
responsible for smoking ban.......... AWARE gets credit even where
credit is not due!!!
So says letter to editor N-G.............
Nonvoters to blame for smoking ban

Wednesday February 7, 2007

The city councils' latest fiasco has proven to be just that. Some
restaurants and bars are already reporting a 40 percent loss of revenue
because we are not allowed to smoke even in the establishments that
wish to cater to folks who would like a cigarette.

There is a small minority on the city council with common sense, but
they are shouted down and outvoted. The majority of the council has
been elected through the efforts of our own version of the Berkeley of
the Midwest and the people of AWARE, whatever that is.

The loss of revenue to these establishments translates to lower revenue
for the city, layoffs of personnel and would-be customers traveling out
of town to a more congenial and amenable atmosphere.

I am a life member of my Veterans of Foreign Wars post. I do not even
feel like going there now since even they have not put up an opposition
to this idiocy, and they are the people who fought for our rights. I
would kick in a few dollars to hire a good attorney and start a class
action suit on behalf of all owners, employees and customers affected
by the taking away of our choice.

I do not smoke and seldom have a drink, but I did enjoy going to bars
and restaurants with my friends who do so. Tim Johnson nailed it when
he said we are being run by the "nannies." This is the fault of the
majority who do not exercise their right to vote.

  JOHN NORWOOD

Urbana
  Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2007/02/07/
nonvoters_to_blame_for_smoking_ban

"Do not go where the path may lead ~ Go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson