[Peace-discuss] Clint Eastwood against Iraq war - all over now

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 13:42:32 CST 2007

But seriously, folks, I do think statements like this
help, "tenacity" and all.  I think some folks need to
hear from somebody outside the Bush-is-evil camp ...
somehow makes it OK for them to oppose the war ...

And it was on Fox News???

Ricky

Clint Eastwood against Iraq war, but admires Bush
"tenacity"

AFP Fri Feb 9, 12:21 AM ET

Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood has said he opposed the
United States' decision to go to war in Iraq but said
he admired the "tenacity" of President George W. Bush.
In an interview with Fox News, Eastwood, who has been
nominated for a best director Oscar at this month's
Academy Awards for World War Two movie "Letters from
Iwo Jima", said he was against the US-led 2003
invasion of Iraq.

The United States' goal of trying to impose democracy
on Iraq was flawed, the 76-year-old said.

"I wasn't for going in there," Eastwood said. "Only
because democracy isn't something that you get
overnight. I don't think America got democracy
overnight. It's something we had to fight for and
believe in."

While other Hollywood celebrities have been outspoken
in their criticism of Bush, Eastwood said he admired
the US leader's tenacity.

"I think -- you know, I kind of admire the tenacity he
has," Eastwood said.

Asked how he though Bush would be remembered, Eastwood
replied: "Well, somebody who -- you've got to admire
somebody who stands up for what they believe
regardless of how the polls go.

"A lot of presidents do everything by the polls. They
do a focus group then all of a sudden they say OK,
that's what I'm going to be for because that's where
focus group is leading me."