[Peace-discuss] Call for co-sponsors Tom Hayden Talk March 30

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 14 22:28:12 CST 2007

I read Hayden's peculiar apology about the invasion of Lebanon when it
printed in CounterPunch and thought that it raised questions of its own
-- e.g., does Hayden see himself as a victim of the untenable
Mearsheimer-Walt thesis? -- but the accounts I cited were primarily to
point out Hayden's differing positions on ending the Iraq war.  As the
columns show, he's moved in eighteen months from "shredded platitudes
about internationalizing the occupying force" through de-escalation and
re-deployment.

What counts as an antiwar position?  Hayden's mind seems to have changed
on that in a relatively short time.  But when Obama is touting himself
as an anti-war candidate, it seems important to say what an antiwar
position actually is.

De-escalation and redeployment, as in Obama's bill, is primarily a
rhetorical strategy to convince the American public that the general USG
policy in the ME should continue.  That policy includes the maintenance
of control over Iraq, with the world's second largest known oil
reserves, and of bases in the midst of the world's major energy
supplies, so that the US will continue to exercise strategic power and
influence over its major rivals in a tripolar world -- (1) US-dominated
North America, (2) Europe, and (3) Northeast Asia.

Against that, a real anti-war position would call for a complete US
withdrawal -- all troops, mercenaries, and corporations -- and the
evacuation of the bases and the billion-dollar embassy.  Further, as
Chomsky says, "US policy should be that of all aggressors: (1) pay
reparations; (2) attend to the will of the victims; (3) hold the guilty
parties accountable, in accord with the Nuremberg principles, the UN
Charter, and other international instruments."

In fact, Hayden's present position may now be fairly close to this.  But
it's vital to distinguish it from what the media are currently calling
anti-war positions. --CGE