[Peace-discuss] 9/11

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:19:56 CST 2007

It's fascinating to me to encounter a retired guy who thinks as you do,
Chuck....me being a retired guy, too, who basically agrees with
you.  :-)  I assume you haven't always thought like this.  I'd love to know
more about your background, and what "radicalized" you.  For me it was the
60's and the Viet Nam war, then the "Reagan Revolution", and finally seeing
events from the 60's basically repeating themselves in recent years.  A
serious student of history and life begins to perceive  patterns that
endlessly repeat themselves.

We all, I think, basically recognize that the ideal "system" is some
modified form of capitalism that is seriously regulated by government.  At
the same time we constantly rail at government corruption and
complicity.  The conundrum, of course, is that it's virtually impossible to
find incorruptible public officials with integrity and vision, get them
elected, keep them in office, and elect them in sufficient numbers so that
they have real power.

The only thing that gives me any hope at all is that there have been
occasional historical periods when there seems to have been a confluence of
"enlightened" interests - FDR and his "New Deal" comes to mind, for
example, and the Warren Court.  And there have been instances where
technology solved seemingly intractable problems - only, however, to
replace them with new problems.

Were it not for my belief in God, I would be utterly pessimistic.  As it
is, I am only too ready to leave this weary world.

And yes...I think there's little question that Estabrook is a mole.  ;-)

John Wason