[Peace-discuss] Chomsky et al.

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 23 16:44:08 CST 2007

I always suspected Chomsky was a no-solution guy. And yes, I have
considered your mole theory, Chuck. Last summer, I met someone
who had withdrawn from the NYC anti-war crowd because it spent
much of its energy on infighting. "About what", I asked. "About
who was in charge", she said, saying that they even got into
fist-fights..... It's so easy to set up this sort of thing that
the other side would be fools not to take advantage of it. But
we don't have to take the hook.

Consider that it is the intention of the other side to convince
us that we can do nothing. This, in my opinion, is how they win.

A consensus-based group is a sitting duck. A single mole can bring
it down. For this reason, and because there are good reasons for
preferring a super-majority, I'm partial to 2/3 or 3/4. It is
said that the Greens have done better in Germany than here because
the German Greens do not use consensus.

Bob

(Incidentally, following Chuck's lead with moles, I see that I used
3 different animal metaphors. Does anyone want to go for 4?)