[Peace-discuss] Message from Anna Baltzer

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 10:34:25 CST 2007

  (the interview is at www.flashpoints.net)

  dear friends,

this is predominantly a message from anna. it was related to me over the phone this
afternoon. anna has been in nablus since sunday, and has no access to a computer, but
she asked me to relay this information to the members of her group.

anna was interviewed recently for the show "flashpoints" on kpfa radio in berkeley. the
broadcast will be at the top of the 5 o'clock (pacific time) hour tomorrow. you can go to
the website www.flashpoints. net to listen or find local affiliates.

partially because all media outlets in nablus have been taken over by the israeli military,
anna wanted to share her cell phone number so that others may contact her with interview
requests. that number is 011.972.542. 167.376.

the city of nablus has been under siege by the israeli military for over two days now. over
80 military vehicles and the israeli troops accompanying them have imposed a complete
day- and nighttime curfew on the residents. the city of nablus was already the subject of a
disastrous U.S. led international embargo which has exacerbated the effects of the curfew.
the people, who otherwise might have been a little more prepared to be stuck in their
homes for days on end, are suffering in what a anna called an impending humanitarian
crisis.

anna is in the company of and working with other internationals delivering bread, milk,
and medical supplies, and trying to attend to sick people. she has primarily been
accompanying the union of palestinian medical relief committees.

anna estimates that at least 25 homes have been completely overtaken by the israeli
military, and they are using them for military bases, prisons, and interrogation centers.

anna reports that she has witnessed the israeli military
*beat palestinian civilians
*employ humiliation tactics
*handcuff and arrest civilians
*use palestinians as human shields

anna also observed at least 8 people in need of insulin who are unable to receive
treatment. she told me the story of one man critically wounded by a tear gas bomb in his
own house. his family also suffered, but the man's asthma significantly worsened his
condition. he is still in need of medical attention.

anna was encouraged when i told her that i had read about the siege in an associated
press article, and online from one of israel's newspapers, haaretz. from those articles and
speaking with anna i understand that one unarmed palestinian man was fatally shot.

anna stressed to me that innocent civilians breaking the curfew imposed by the israeli
military is an inspirational example of nonviolent resistance employed by the palestinians.
by simply walking down the streets of their own city in the daylight, they are fighting
oppression without violence.

sincerely,
joshua nardie