[Peace-discuss] NG letter: What is Johnson's position on Iraq war?

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 11:51:28 CST 2007

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2007/01/04/what_is_johnsons_position_on_iraq_war

What is Johnson's position on Iraq war?
Thursday January 4, 2007

I was delighted to learn from his Dec. 31 op-ed that U.S. Rep. Tim
Johnson is opposed to a reinstatement of the military draft (a
proposal that is going nowhere, as it is opposed by the leadership of
both political parties, as he well knows).

What I would really like to know is: where does Rep. Johnson stand on
President Bush's proposal to "surge" troops in Iraq? Will he support a
timetable for the withdrawal of all U.S. troops and bases, as we voted
in a referendum? Will he oppose funding to continue the war another
year, likely to result in another thousand deaths of American
soldiers? Does he support direct U.S. talks with Iran and Syria, as
recommended by the bipartisan Iraq Study Group?

ROBERT NAIMAN

Urbana