[Peace-discuss] NG letter: What is Johnson's position on Iraq war?

karen medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 4 15:03:43 CST 2007

Peace Discuss,

I've been wondering about the difference between "patriotism" and
"nationalism." (the question about Tim Johnson is a good opportunity to
bring up my wonderings).

"My country right or wrong" -> nationalism
"Our country—when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right" ->
patriotism

In my opinion, Illinois Representative Tim Johnson is not wise enough
"to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish
schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock
patriotism."

-karen medina

Long quotes are from Senator CARL SCHURZ, 1899
http://www.bartleby.com/73/1641.html