[Peace-discuss] Make peace with Syria, attack Iran

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 09:41:21 CST 2007

In today's NYT, "historian" Michael Oren, from the same right-wing Israeli think thank that gave our campus the execrable Yossi Klein Halevi a while back, proposes that Israel make peace with Syria. He doesn't seem to have the best of motives:

  "More crucial still, by detaching Syria from Iran’s orbit, Israel will be able to address the Iranian nuclear threat — perhaps by military means — without fear of retribution from Syrian ground forces and missiles. Forfeiting the Golan Heights, for these Israelis, seems to be a sufferable price to pay to avoid conventional and ballistic attacks across most of Israel’s borders."

  I'm really curious to see how the local Jewish/Stalinist leadership will justify Israel nuking Iran.

  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/24/opinion/24oren.html

  Note also that Assad has made no "Sadat-like" gestures to Israel. It's remarkable how Israelis cultivate a hope for Arab "greatness," while planning for the next attack.

  DG