[Peace-discuss] US plans for Sudan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 31 14:05:03 CST 2007

Although I have no trouble granting that the US government is morally
misguided, US threats against Serbia and Somalia turned out to be
neither meaningless nor empty.

The Bush administration obviously has no intention of sacrificing its
strategic interests for the people of Darfur.  But it may very well use
civil war in Darfur as an excuse to achieve part of its overall
strategic interest, viz., control of the countries within CentCom --
just as it has now used civil war in Somalia to achieve part of that
same strategic interest; and just as the Clinton administration used
civil war in Kosovo as an excuse to reduce a recalcitrant state in SE
Europe in 1999.

The USG's overriding strategic interest is control of ME oil -- not just
access to it -- as a means of controlling its economic rivals, the EU
and NE Asia.  The article you cite expresses the position of the neocons
in the US foreign policy establishment -- that the real enemy in Africa
is China, that the USG is doing far too little to counter Chinese
influence there, and that Sudan is an important theatre of that
conflict. (But are you quite happy with the article's reference to "the
painfully naïve and irresponsibly ill-informed Save Darfur Coalition"?)

The article's demands for a military force to oppose Sudanese and
Chinese machinations seem as off-base as its predicton that Sudan will
become head of the AU [it didn't], when it finally concedes that "There
can be no gainsaying [gainsaying?] the claim that ultimately security in
Darfur must derive from a peace agreement."

The article's concluding suggestion, that China should be embarrassed
for its support of Khartoum at the 2008 Olympics, is reminiscent of
Jimmy Carter's boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow as a
protest against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan: we recall that
Carter was also at the same time covertly recruiting Osama bin Laden and
friends to carry out US foreign policy in arms.  --CGE