[Peace-discuss] Johnson

Jen Tayabji tayabji at shout.net
Wed Jul 4 08:29:11 CDT 2007

Carl, Bob, et al:

Thank you for your question!

IDF is participating in the summer campaign of Americans Against the
Escalation in Iraq. We are not leading or organizing this campaign, but
helping with the local efforts.

As I understand it, the goal of this campaign is to specifically target
certain districts where congress-people have voted for using more troops,
etc. This campaign specifically is calling to end any future legislation for
escalation and to bring the troops home.

As for IDF, this is one aspect of the anti-war work and approaches we are
taking.

Speaking personally, I agree that Bob's listed approaches should be part of
a comprehensive, multi-tactical plan to end the war.

As I understand it, this press conference, which is kicking off the summer
campaign, is more narrowly focused on the **issue of recent escalation of
troops, preventing future escalation, and bringing the troops home safely
and responsibly.**

Americans Against the Escalation in Iraq has a fairly detailed website at:
http://www.noiraqescalation.org

In solidarity,
Jen

On 7/4/07 12:41 AM, "illyes at uiuc.edu" <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Carl and I have some pretty serious idological differences, Jen, as I suspect
> you know, but I agree with him that there are only two ways to stop this
> madness of how many people dead? Is it a thousand a day? No one knows, but
> quessing is not hard. The ways to stop this are
>
> 1) A serious threat of impeachment
> 2) A cutoff of funds.
>
> Nothing else will work with these smug guys who, as Zinn points out, do not
> have the same interests as the people.  What is your plan?
>
> Bob

Jen Tayabji
Executive Director and Campus Minister
Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF)
W: (217) 352-8721 | C: (217) 840-8248
http://www.prairienet.org/idf

"My life is my message."
  --Mahatma Gandhi

"If we remember those times and places‹and there are so many‹where people
have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least
the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different
direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait
for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of
presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance
of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."
  --Howard Zinn