[Peace-discuss] Supporting our troops

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 6 23:03:17 CDT 2007

The US occupation of Iraq should be opposed because it's a crime, not
because "victory is not possible."  In fact, it seems pretty clear that
the US will be victorious, in the sense that it will achieve it basic
war aims -- permanent bases in the country with the world's second
greatest oil reserves, and continued American control over the major
energy reserves in the world.  Of course the Democrats support that as
well as the Republicans.

Its been a primary goal of US policy since World War II (like Britain
before it) to control what the State Department called "a stupendous
source of strategic power and one of the greatest material prizes in
history." Establishing a client state in Iraq would significantly
enhance that strategic power, a matter of great significance for the
future. As Zbigniew Brzezinski observed, it would provide the US with
"critical leverage" of its European and Asian rivals, a conception with
roots in early post-war planning. These are substantial reasons for
aggression -- not unlike those of the British when they invaded and
occupied Iraq over 80 years earlier, at the dawn of the oil age.

Give me an example of a democracy not established at the point of a gun.
  In cases where the metaphor breaks down -- Switzerland, Athens, the
Roman Republic -- it was still the military conflict that made whatever
democracy developed possible, the Swiss being admittedly a complex case.
   We have several much-advertised recent examples of an occupying
army's imposing formal elements of a democratic polity "at the point of
a gun" -- the Confederacy, Japan, Germany.

But of course the US has and had no intention of establishing an
independent democracy in Iraq (with the further threat of independent
Shiite control of the oil-producing regions around the Gulf, from Iran
to Saudi Arabia).  Bremer and the Coalition Provisional Authority meant
to impose a constitution by fiat, choose ministers, and govern thru an
"Arab facade."  But the non-violent resistance of Sistani and the
majority Shiite community forced the US to hold an election, which of
course the US tried carefully to control, as it has tried largely
successfully to control the government that issued from it.  Note the
current dispute over the oil law.

The slaughter in SE Asia 40 years ago -- where we may have killed 4
million people, while Bush-Clinton-Bush have killed perhaps only 2
million in Iraq -- was also a US success: we prevented a peasant society
from establishing independence in the US-run world economy, scotching
the "threat of a good example."  Now Vietnam begs for Nike factories.

Of course it's ridiculous to claim that sending Americans who don't know
any better to brutalize Arabs, to kill and be killed, is "supporting our
troops." --CGE