[Peace-discuss] re Power Intoxicates

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Mon Jul 9 21:24:19 CDT 2007

How many people has power changed for the better such that it has advanced the cause of mankind?  I
cannot think of many instances where people who acquire great power have done well for their societies
or the human race.  Of world leaders in the 20th century, for instance, probably only Gandhi represents an
example where political power didn't corrupt too deeply.  I would hesitate to put Leftist/nationalist
political figures like Allende, Mossadegh, Lumumba, Arbenz, and most recently Chavez on this list just
because History has not finished with them yet.  In addition, I am sure they stomped on many people to
get where they got even if they are possessed of more moral scruples than the corrupt leadership in
Washington.

                 Nick