[Peace-discuss] AWARE "disrespectful to...

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 12:46:43 CDT 2007

Thanks for the update and clarification, Jan. I haven't attended meetings in years so was reacting to recent postings to the list (re the flyer-in-question and other-wise), AND remembering unfortunate aftermath of Obama's visit a couple of years ago when we lost ground w/ a key member of the African American community, and objections voiced w/in the group were countered w/ disrespectful and personal attacks twds one dissenting member, which resulted in loss of key member(s) of AWARE.

  I agree that members will have- and express their differences... however, while dissent will be certainly be present from time to time, disrespect should not be tolerated at any time.

  And perhaps -- although you (and most members?) feel the present system is working well -- others might weigh in on the guidelines and timelines, including when AWARE's name vs AWARE's name w/ disclaimer should be used?

  Jenifer

Jan & Durl Kruse <jandurl at insightbb.com> wrote:
  Many months ago AWARE established a set of guidelines, which to date
has been used as needed. For the past many months AWARE has peacefully
gone about its work. Infighting in recent meetings has been
non-existent. Those present at Sunday meetings know this from first
hand experience. But now a difference has arisen. Those who attended
this past Sunday will probably recall (and we'll hope the posted
minutes will reflect) that we have already dealt with the current flyer
issue. We (those present) reminded ourselves that if we do not have
the required and agreed upon 90 percent consensus for a flyer, then
that flyer will have the prior agreed to disclaimer: (something like:)
"This flyer is produced by a working group of AWARE, but may not
reflect the views and opinions of all members of AWARE".

The flyer "in question" was passed out on Saturday at the Main Event.
This is not the first or only flyer that has been distributed as an
AWARE flyer without having been approved ahead of distribution by those
in attendance on a given Sunday. Often a call or idea for a flyer has
come up at the last minute and someone has kindly volunteered to write
up something. Nobody objected. Many were thankful someone took care of
doing the job. I have never felt I had to approve or agree with
everything AWARE does or puts into print as an organization. I am not
sure this is even possible with an anarchist group.

The Obama Flyer from 2 years ago may have had the disclaimer (I am not
sure). But, I am sure that since AWARE did not arrive at consensus
regarding that event (about whether members would: 1) protest at MTD,
2) pass a flyer, or 3) politely attend in the audience) it was decided
to have individual AWARE members choose which you might feel most
comfortable doing. The situation changed when police ordered those
passing flyers to leave MTD property, then when Obama came out to meet
with the protesters and he overrode the police orders and invited us
inside with our flyers and protest signs. No planning ahead or
consensus would have been possible as the event continued to unfolded
that day!

What I have always appreciated is the ability of AWARE to not be so
concerned about its good name being questioned. Individuals have been
willing to attend the meetings, suggest work and if others join.......
go forth........ We have not been limited by concern over who may or
may not like our efforts. Besides who should we worry about offending?
........no matter what is done for peace and/ or justice it is bound to
offend someone............
So, it seems we have once again figured out how to go forth......
despite this very small disagreement over a flyer.
There is no deju vu all over again..........no need for concern......
time and energy remain high.......AWARE's reputation is unchanged
........... some will love our work....... others will despise AWARE.
The group is just the right size and large enough (since whoever shows
up can paricipate) to do the work that any individual brings forth and
is willing to work with others to accomplish!
JAN K