[Peace-discuss] Re: US support for democracy in Palestine

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:23:05 CDT 2007

>From today's NYT:

"Those who believe Mr. Abbas, who leads the Fatah party, Hamas's main
rival, did have the power to do so say that even an emergency
government must be ratified by the legislature. But with at least 39
Hamas legislators from the West Bank now being held in Israel jails
without charges, and the rest boycotting the meeting, it was not
possible to muster a quorum of the 132-member legislature...

In the January 2006 election, Hamas won 74 seats and Fatah 45. Now,
though, with only about 35 Hamas legislators not in jail, Fatah would
have a majority of the votes if a quorum were to be attained."

Hamas Boycotts Legislature Meeting
Steven Erlanger, New York Times, July 11, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/world/middleeast/11cnd-mideast.html