[Peace-discuss] Re: Wasson on common people

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 15 13:34:28 CDT 2007

Libby poll:  Well, if 2/3 of Americans oppose Bush's abomidable involvement in the Libby pardon; what
does that really say?  Does that fact tell us that any meaningful change will come of this fact?  Will
people organize to do something about this?  Will people congregate in large groups across this
country with aggregate numbers in the millions protesting this and the laundry list of other offenses
the Bush Administration has committed?  I think not.  Carl, I agree completely that the 25-30% of the
population that still supports the Bush gang represent the political fringe.  But, the Christian Zionist/
Dominionist/Doomsdayer "Left Behind" crowd are organized.  They are passionate about their beliefs
and they feel that the insanity in the Middle East will ultimately lead to the Second Coming of Christ and
the fiery 1000 Year Reign.  Progressives misspend their energy fighting battles in Washington rather
than on the local level where real change can begin.  Furthermore, progressives cannot match the
committment of religious radical Bible-thumpers.  So, the silent/passive progressive majority must
oppose a vocal, committed minority.  In the past, fascist movements have always succeeded because
vocal, committed minorities composed of "true believers" triumphed over populations that didn't
necessarily agree with the more extremist leaders.  Case in point---even in the 1933 Reichstag
elections, the Nazi party couldn't command more than roughly 40% of the vote even with SA
Stormtroopers dominating the streets and intimidating voters.  Vocal minorities always have greater
power to translate political feeling into tangible political action than passive majorities.  There is no
substitute for energy in political action.  So, I think John is basically right; I don't like to have this
opinion but I think his view jives with reality.