[Peace-discuss] Aristotle

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:50:12 CDT 2007

It's no more the case that civic virtue involves a "golden mean" between
authoritarianism and democracy than that personal virtue includes a mean
between cowardice and courage.

A real democracy will have to establish its authority, of course --
that's close to what Marx meant by the "dictatorship of the
proletariat," a phrase that was lated perverted for the use of
authoritarianism (= unjustified, undemocratic authority).  Bakunin said,
"If you make a stick to beat the people, it doesn't matter if you call
it 'the people's stick.'"

In his Politics Aristotle points out that he's not a great fan of
democracy but that it's the best of a bunch of bad systems. (Winston
Churchill's oft-quoted remark to the same effect was probably a result
of his classical education.) But Aristotle thought a democracy cannot
function if there are extremes of wealth. Everyone has to be roughly
equal -- everyone has to be middle class, he said.

Aristotle took it for granted that a democracy should be fully
participatory (with some notable exceptions, like women and slaves) and
that it should aim for the common good. In order to achieve that, it has
to ensure relative equality, "moderate and sufficient property" and
"lasting prosperity" for everyone.

In other words, Aristotle felt that if you have extremes of poor and
rich, you can't talk seriously about democracy. Any true democracy has
to be what we call today a welfare state -- actually, an extreme form of
one, far beyond anything envisioned in the 20th century.

The idea that great wealth and democracy can't exist side by side runs
right up through the Enlightenment and classical liberalism, including
major figures like Adam Smith, de Tocqueville, and the founders of the
United States.

Aristotle argued that if a democracy has a small number of very rich
people and a large number of very poor people, the poor will use their
democratic rights to take property away from the rich. Aristotle
regarded that as unjust, and proposed two possible solutions: reducing
poverty (which is what he recommended) or reducing democracy.

James Madison, who was no fool, noted the same problem, but unlike
Aristotle, he aimed to reduce democracy rather than poverty. He feared
that a growing part of the population, suffering from the serious
inequities of the society, would "secretly sigh for a more equal
distribution of [life's] blessings." If they had democratic power,
there'd be a danger they'd do something more than sigh. He discussed
this quite explicitly at the Constitutional Convention, expressing his
concern that the poor majority would use its power to bring about a
redistribution of wealth (which in 18th century America meant land).

So he designed a system that made sure democracy couldn't function. He
placed power in the hands of the "more capable set of men," those who
hold "the wealth of the nation." Other citizens were to be marginalized
and factionalized in various ways, which have taken a variety of forms
over the years -- fractured political constituencies, barriers against
unified working-class action and cooperation, exploitation of ethnic and
racial conflicts, etc.

(To be fair, Madison was precapitalist and his "more capable set of men"
were supposed to be "enlightened statesmen" and "benevolent
philosophers," not investors and corporate executives trying to maximize
their own wealth regardless of the effect that has on other people. When
Alexander Hamilton and his followers began to turn the US into a
capitalist state, Madison was pretty appalled.  He would probably be an
anticapitalist if he were alive today -- as would Jefferson and Adam Smith.)

De Tocqueville, who wrote, "History is a picture gallery where there are
few originals and many copies," knew from his classical education that
democracy would not survive without relative equality -- a "middle
class."  Of course there wasn't much of a middle class in the America he
saw in the 1830s, and he was quite censorious of the middle class
government (without much equality) in France a decade later, the
"dictatorship of the bourgeoisie" in which Marx came of age.

It's extremely unlikely that what are now called "inevitable results of
the market" would ever be tolerated in a truly democratic society. You
can take Aristotle's path and make sure that almost everyone has
"moderate and sufficient property" -- in other words, is what he called
"middle-class." Or you can take Madison's path and limit the functioning
of democracy.

Throughout our history, political power has been, by and large, in the
hands of those who own the country. There have been some limited
variations on that theme, like the New Deal. FDR had to respond to the
fact that the public was not going to tolerate the existing situation.
He left power in the hands of the rich, but bound them to a kind of
social contract. The New Deal was similar to the solutions found in
Germany and Russia for the collapse of capitalism in the Great
Depression. --CGE