[Peace-discuss] An immense amount to join Obama for president

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 18 01:11:56 CDT 2007

In Illinois in 2000, it was clear that the Democratic nominee would win,
so one could vote for Nader as a protest.

The key to the matter was given long ago by Boss Tweed, the head of New
York's Tammany Hall in the 19th century: "I don't care who does the
electing, just so long as I do the nominating."

Although democracy is hardly a matter of pulling a lever every four
years, perhaps in this cycle we should try voting for an anti-war
candidate, Ron Paul, in the Republican primary, 5 February 2008. We have
open primaries in Illinois, and we know that the Democratic nominee will
be pro-war.

We don't know what Gore would have done as president, of course, but we
can get some idea from serious attention to his record, as in A.
Cockburn and J. St. Clair, "Al Gore: A User's Manual." Remember that the
Neocons were working on Clinton's administration before they switched to
the Republicans, and not without success.

The possibility you mention indicates what a Democratic administration
might have been like.

Remember too that political victories in the last generation -- voting
rights and the end of Vietnam war -- came not from throwing the rascals
out (we didn't), but from convincing the rascals who remained in all
along that the country would be ungovernable if they didn't do the right
thing. --CGE