[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Iraq war protest today, 5pm, Vets Memorial Urbana, rain or shine.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 18 01:46:31 CDT 2007

Bob--

Does it disturb you at all that the Democrats, having a majority in the
Senate, could abolish the filibuster rule any time they wanted to?  (The
Republicans set out how it would be done in the last Congress: they
called it, with obscene self-importance, "the nuclear option.")

It's clear why the Democrats don't want to do that and prefer posturing,
as in tonight's session. Senator Hagel, one of the sponsors of the bill
being blocked by the Republicans' filibuster, let the cat out of the bag
tonight when he admitted his bill would neither end the war nor remove
US troops from Iraq.

Democrats want the anti-war cachet without really changing US policy in
the Middle East.  Some protesters pointed that out when the Democrats
tried to hold a rally outside the Capitol this evening. "'Stop financing
the war,' several anti-war activists chanted as Reid exhorted about 300
protestors [sic] to back Democratic efforts in the Senate" (AFP). --CGE