[Peace-discuss] Co-option comments

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 18 03:07:01 CDT 2007

[1]	MoveON.org: The Perpetual Precession
	of the Simulacra of Antiwar Activism

Postmodernist philosophers are noted for their obsession with perceived
differences between reality and socially generated representations of
it. According to Jean Baudrillard, who died recently, we now live in an
age marked by the substitution of the signs of the real, simulacra, for
the real itself. He described this process as the precession of
simulacra, a process that eliminates our capability to distinguish
between nature and artifice.

MoveON.org is the classic manifestation of a liberal organization that
sees the world in postmodernist terms, an organization that seeks to
achieve the partisan goal of electing Democrats based upon the
assumption that the precession of simulacra is an inescapable,
established fact of our contemporary existence. I have previously
described the efforts of MoveON.org to substitute the artifice of
antiwar activism for the substantive kind (click on the label for
MoveON.org below if you are interested), and barely a month goes by
without discovering its participation in another initiative launched for
the purpose of containing antiwar activism within the boundaries
established by moderate Democrats.

For example, I discovered this one, while lurking over at DailyKos, the
Americans Against Escalation in Iraq:

     "Americans Against Escalation in Iraq is a national campaign
comprised of a variety groups from across the political spectrum that
are committed to opposing the Bush-McCain plan to escalate the war in
Iraq and to work for the responsible redeployment of American forces.
Americans Against Escalation in Iraq includes veterans, students, some
of the nation’s leading anti-war voices, and progressive organizations
which traditionally confine their activity to domestic issues. Many of
the organizations coming together to lead Americans Against Escalation
in Iraq include those which successfully mounted a national campaign in
2005 to defeat President Bush’s effort to privatize Social Security.
Using that same campaign model, these organizations are joining with
more traditional anti-war forces, veterans and students to mount this
campaign because the stakes are so high and because the future of a
generation of Americans is on the line."

Despite standing for virtually nothing, Americans Against Escalation in
Iraq expropriates the language and methods of past social movements in
the hope that the sprinkling of the magic dust of authenticity will
infuse their efforts with a credibility that is absent. Quite
predictably, it is now involved in a multi-million-dollar Iraq Summer
project dedicated to pressuring Congresspersons and Senators to change
their stance and stop supporting the Cheney-Bush Iraq policy. And, yes,
you guessed it, Iraq Summer is only targeting Republican members of
Congress, not Democrats, you know, those like Nancy Pelosi and Harry
Reid who approved the continued financing of the war.

My hostility towards MoveON.org has primarily been because of its effort
to prevent the emergence of a popular, mass based movement against the
war in Iraq and, potentially, even US imperialism. Now, I have concluded
that it serves an even more insidious purpose, the mobilization of
people to participate in meaningless spectacles, based upon the
assumption that radical political change is impossible. In other words,
a perspective about US politics and social life that is irretrievably
cynical and amoral, and allows the militarists to run free to plot new
crimes.

http://amleft.blogspot.com/

[2]	Kos joins the big-time sellouts

 From my inbox:

	"Special News Bulletin: YearlyKos Welcomes Another
	Candidate to Groundbreaking Leadership Forum

	"The YearlyKos Convention team is pleased to welcome Senator Hillary
Clinton to the second annual, historic gathering of the netroots in
Chicago this August. Clinton joins Senators Edwards, Obama, Dodd, and
Governor Bill Richardson as a participant in the first ever
collaborative presidential forum with both a respected blogger(Joan
McCarter of DailyKos) and a leading member of the traditional media
(Matt Bai of The New York Times Magazine) as moderators, with author and
blogger Dr. Jeffrey Feldman facilitating questions from attendees."

A "respected blogger"? Isn't that, like, an oxymoron?

The short history of Kosnikia provides a really brilliant, crisp
case-study in the operation of the Democratic Party as a engine of
co-optation. Matt Bai! When he shows up, you know the vultures have
stopped circling -- they've landed and begun to dine.

Posted by Michael J. Smith at 1:54 PM on July 13, 2007

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org/

	###