[Peace-discuss] Chicken and egg problem

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:08:15 CDT 2007

At 10:19 AM 7/18/2007, Robert Dunn wrote:

>so wouldn't placing the proverbial handcuff on the police make them more
>angrier? Thus continuing the cycle of anger and resentment from the police
>into the community and vice versa. What i suggested was that people do a
>ride-a-along with an officer. As well, the police should be more in the
>community doing service work such as "Shop with a Cop!" The problem is,
>everyone is bringing race into this issue. The arguments are that its poor
>blacks against "middle class whites" as if there are no poor whites or
>middle class blacks!

I'm sure that members of the Civilian Review Board will be required to do
multiple ride-alongs as a part of their training.  And I would certainly
have no objection to doing a ride-along or two, though I do have minor
concerns about it.

As for race, plenty of middle-class blacks have stories about being pulled
over by the police for no reason other than (apparently) the color of their
skin.  Talk to Rev. Jerome Chambers sometime about his own
experiences.  Talk to any middle-class black person...if you know any.

That is not, of course, to deny that poor whites have their stories about
police harassment also.

We still haven't heard, Robert, how the police helped you in California
when you were mugged.

John