[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Iraq War: conf. call with Sen. Durbin *this afternoon*

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 18 17:53:00 CDT 2007

I think maybe "disappointed" is too generous to Durbin, who wants to
garner the anti-war cachet for the Democrats (given that more than 2/3
of Americans are opposed to the war) without actually doing much to end
it.

The Democrats have no more intention of withdrawing militarily from the
Middle East (including Iraq, newly determined to have the world's second
largest oil deposits) than the Republicans.  Both mean to continue the
long-standing US control of ME energy resources, and they even basically
agree on strategy in Iraq: withdraw to the huge permanent bases and the
billion-dollar embassy, fight "al-Qaida" and "terrorism," control the
oil flows, hunker down and don't worry about a viable government.

Sen. Hagel, one of the sponsors of the bill that the Democrats got
oh-so-close last night, candidly admitted on the Senate floor that the
bill wouldn't end the war or withdraw the troops.  The Democrats don't
really want to end it: they just want to pin it on the Republicans.

There is a parallel to Vietnam here, although in most ways the wars were
different.  In 1969, after having being elected because he said he had
"a secret plan to end the war,"  Nixon "was intent on withdrawing all
American ground combat troops, while leaving behind tens of thousands of
American advisors [sound familiar?], who were to continue training the
South Vietnamese military, as well as sizable numbers of troops to guard
our enormous bases in that country. Not surprisingly, that period saw an
unprecedented escalation of the air war over South Vietnam. It was a
time of unparalleled (but under-reported) brutality, destruction, and
carnage in the Vietnamese countryside" (Tom Englehardt).

That's the Democratic and the Republican strategy now.  Under these
conditions, the Democrats want to continue the war, just so long as they
get credit with the US populace for opposing it.  --CGE