[Peace-discuss] Durbin interview

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 22:14:41 CDT 2007

What is the point of publicly dissing Durbin???? He's one of the (relatively) good guys holding elected office (yes, even tho' he wouldn't spill the beans after he learned the "facts" justifying the invasion were BS). We should certainly hold his little clay feet to the fire, but let's be realistic here. Look what he's/we're up against. Russ Feingold wanted to censure the Bush admin for deliberate deception leading to the US invasion of Iraq, and not one senator would support him. Not one senator condemned Israel for attacking Lebanon last year. Let's go after the really bad guys when we create our flyers, not the ones who are lots better than most who we'd like to be perfect, even tho' it wouldn't make a bit of difference if they were, given the present climate. AWARE will have a greater impact on folks reading the flyers if they can see the point to our criticism.

  Grrr,
  Jenifer

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
  Mort--

This is excellent. How about turning it into a flyer for the Main Event
in two weeks? Perhaps you could conclude with the (slightly more
hopeful) recommendation from the "cogent, clear headed article by
Anthony Arnove":

"WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO END THE OCCUPATION?

"I THINK it will take much more pressure at home and also within the
rank and file of the U.S. military in Iraq.

"We have to take advantage of the cracks that are opening within the
establishment to campaign vocally and publicly against the war,
involving greater numbers of the people and communities affected by the
war at home--which has gone hand in hand with the war against the Iraqi
people.

"We need to put pressure on both the Democrats and Republicans, and not
simply collapse into a lobbying wing for the Democratic Party.

"There will be immense pressure on the antiwar movement to give up its
independence and get behind whatever candidate the Democrats put forward
in 2008, no matter what their limitations. People will tell us this is
how we can be relevant.

"I think the antiwar movement would be irrelevant, though, if we did
this. We’ll be much more effective if we articulate our own principles
and demands--including immediate withdrawal--and fight for them.

"And we also need to defend and support those soldiers who in greater
numbers are speaking out, refusing service, declaring conscientious
objection and, at great personal risk, organizing against the war..."

--CGE