[Peace-discuss] Middle ages

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 20 10:31:46 CDT 2007

A little attention to history might be a good idea, especially when the
Republicans and Democrats want us to ignore the real history of the US
in the Middle East.

In regard to what the Democrats are doing right now, there's an
historical parallel that's instructive -- the election of 1968.  The US
wars in SE Asia then and SW Asia now are quite different (for one thing,
Iraq is far more important to the US than Vietnam ever was), but the US
political parties are behaving now somewhat as they did forty years ago
(in reversed positions).

As the 1968 election approached, US soldiers were killing and dying in a
war that had begun with a US invasion five years before, and there was a
vigorous anti-war movement, largely outside of (and a threat to) the
party structure. (In fact, more Americans had died, and the anti-war
movement wasn't as large, in 1967 as compared with 2007.) In the
election, the candidate of the incumbent party (Democrat Hubert
Humphrey) half-heartedly tried to distance himself from his party's war,
because his opponent (Republican Richard Nixon) drew on opposition to
the war by saying that it had been mismanaged and that he had a plan to
end it.  When the "out" party was elected in 1968, they withdrew combat
troops, redeployed, and called on the South Vietnamese government (which
the US had installed) to live up to its responsibilities
("Vietnamization") -- essentially the Democratic party plan for Iraq now
-- and the killing went on at an even more horrendous rate for five more
years.

The Democrats today are working quite hard to draw the anti-war movement
back into "normal politics" (which will necessarily mean "critical
support for US policy") -- co-options from the multi-million dollar
"Iraqi Summer" to Durbin's phone call the other day.  There is a
distressing number of people who seem to think that if we can just elect
a "relatively good guy" president (Obama or Clinton, certainly not those
nuts Kucinich or Gravel), instead of that megalomaniac in the While
House, things will get better.  I remember that being said about Lyndon
Johnson.

Anthony Arnove, in the article Mort suggested, seems to me to have some
better advice:

"We have to take advantage of the cracks that are opening within the
establishment to campaign vocally and publicly against the war,
involving greater numbers of the people and communities affected by the
war at home -- which has gone hand in hand with the war against the
Iraqi people.  We need to put pressure on both the Democrats and
Republicans, and not simply collapse into a lobbying wing for the
Democratic Party.  There will be immense pressure on the antiwar
movement to give up its independence and get behind whatever candidate
the Democrats put forward in 2008, no matter what their limitations.
People will tell us this is how we can be relevant."

--CGE

I think the antiwar movement would be irrelevant, though, if we did
this. We’ll be much more effective if we articulate our own principles
and demands--including immediate withdrawal--and fight for them.