[Peace-discuss] USG plans for Iraq and Iran -- and protesters?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 20 11:43:32 CDT 2007

Amidst the usual childishness, there are actually some serious points
for discussion here.

Have you looked at American opinion on the war recently? The Democrats
are frantically tying to make themselves electable by pinning this
immensely unpopular war solely on the Republicans.  The Democrats'
dilemma arises from the fact that they have no intention of abandoning
the policy followed for half a century by all administrations in regard
to Mideast energy resources.

Yes, of course the US should cease its imperial control over the Middle
East, where it replaced the British and the French (with the help of its
Israeli guard-dog).  The Iranian coup in 1953 and the Suez crisis three
years later were heralds of the new age of imperialism in the region.
What was new about the 9/11/01 attacks was that for the first time in
fifty years the guns were pointed the other way.

If the US really wanted to lessen terrorism, and not simply maintain it
as an excuse for further imperialist action, it would take seriously the
motives of the 9-11 terrorists.  Britain dealt successfully with IRA
terrorism only by addressing the grievances of the nationalist community
in Ireland.

The reasons offered by al-Qaeda for its 9-11 attacks were [1] the
murderous sanctions against Iraq (Clinton has probably still killed more
Iraqis than Bush jr, although it's close), [2] the oppression of the
Palestinians, and [3] the presence of the American military in Muslim
religious centers, owing to the tight US alliance with the world's
greatest oil producer, Saudi Arabia.  According to the WSJ, these
opinions were generally shared throughout the Middle East at the time of
the attacks by people otherwise appalled by the crimes themselves.

Following the Tweed Rule in US politics, Americans almost certainly will
have a choice in the presidential election between a pro-war Republican
and a pro-war Democrat.  As it stands, I'll probably vote for Ron Paul
in the Feb. 5 primary as the best way to register an anti-war vote, the
Republican nomination probably being less locked in than the Democratic.
  In the general election I'll vote for the less bad "major" candidate
-- or, if the presidential election in Illinois is a foregone
conclusion, as it has been in all recent presidential elections, I'll
follow Debs' rule and vote for what I want.  (That's been Nader in the
last three quadrennial quadrilles.)

Certainly we should work to establish health-care as a right for all
(along with income, housing, eduction, etc.), and not a gift from the
government to the poor.  But regarding the recent history of
"entitlements," it's the last Democratic administration that did most to
destroy them ("ending welfare as we know it") and the subsequent
Republican administration that did most to expand them, in the Medicare
drug bill (admittedly primarily a gift to the pharmaceutical industry).

Regarding personal liberties, we have recently been reminded that it was
Clinton who brought us the "Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty
Act of 1996" -- among other things a sweeping and unconstitutional
limitation of habeas corpus.  The Democrats who voted for the Military
Commissions Act last fall were just being good Clintonians.

Finally, why is the dollar declining?  In fact, all recent Treasury
secretaries, Republican and Democrat, have been trying to get it to do
so, to deal with America's huge foreign trade imbalance.  (Foreigners
still have to send $2 billion to the US every day -- in exchange for
IOUs -- so that the US can pay for what it buys abroad.)  That Paulson
has finally succeeded (the dollar is at historic lows to the euro,
sterling, etc.) seems largely due to a credit crunch in the US --
brought on by the vast exploitation of the poor by banks and described
delicately as the "subprime crisis."  Given her constituency, President
Clinton will not move for a strong dollar, I'm sorry to say -- I like
London.

--CGE