[Peace-discuss] Barbershop conversation

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 20 15:26:52 CDT 2007

I just had an interesting conversation with my barber that I'd like to
relate. She's Republican, a strong supporter of the military, and from a
military family. Her son returned safely from Iraq. She has a relative
there now. I always talk to her about Iraq and about the corruption
surrounding the administration. I try to do it without ideology, since
doing otherwise would annoy her so much that it would prevent communication.

She has finally turned against our actions in Iraq. "Too many kids are
dying." she said, "too many fathers and mothers." She thinks that our
effort in Iraq has been so mismanaged that there is no way to save the
situation. She also said that Air Force people were currently being
transferred to the Army to bolster it.

This is, of course, the tip of the iceberg. Congress needs to take a closer
look at opinion outside of the beltway. There is no hope for the neocons in
the administration, of course, so they should continue to study their navels.

We'll have to wait a while for my janitor to come around, but I'm sure he will.

Bob