[Peace-discuss] A bit about Obama…

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Fri Jul 20 18:34:30 CDT 2007

An extract from a review [http://www.commondreams.org/archive/
2007/07/20/2648/] of Obama's Foreign Affairs article by Pierre
Tristam. --mkb

…There’s more to Obama’s hawkish compulsions. He wants military
ranks increased by 100,000. In this, he sounds indistinguishable from
Mitt Romney’s prescription for the military, in the same issue of
Foreign Affairs: “First, we need to increase our investment in
national defense. This means adding at least 100,000 troops and
making a long-overdue investment in equipment, armament, weapons
systems, and strategic defense. The need to support our troops is
repeated like a mantra in Washington. Yet little has been said about
the commitment of resources needed to make this more than an empty
phrase.” But where has the case been made for an expanded military
force, if not for expanded and semi-permanent military commitments
abroad? And who at this point ought to be enabling existing
commitments, let alone expanded ones? We remain by far the nation
with the biggest and costliest military in the world. The Pentagon’s
budget is well in excess of all other nations’ military budgets
combined. There’s not a force on earth that can challenge the
military conventionally. It doesn’t need expansion. It may need some
redirection. It certainly needs considerable contraction: There’s no
need for a fleet of 400 ships, no need for a $10-billion-a-year
“missile shield,” no need for the F-22 and the Joint Strike
Fighter, no need for an endless list of military procurement that
does nothing for the defense of the country and everything to grease
the job-making base of a few congressman. And there’s no need for an
American presence in Europe anymore. Those forces should redeploy.
The Pentagon is sucking the marrow out of the federal budget and
making a Sparta of this alleged “city upon a hill.”

Yet what does Obama do? He does Romney one better. He breaks down the
numbers: “We should expand our ground forces by adding 65,000
soldiers to the army and 27,000 marines.” He restates the doctrine
of using the military for nation-building: “We must also consider
using military force in circumstances beyond self-defense in order to
provide for the common security that underpins global stability — to
support friends, participate in stability and reconstruction
operations, or confront mass atrocities.” And he restates Bush’s
doctrine of pre-emption, as in the case of Iran if it becomes
necessary because “It is far too dangerous to have nuclear weapons
in the hands of a radical theocracy” (because it’s not dangerous
to have them in the hands of a dictatorship like Pakistan? Or in the
hands of the only nation that has used them?) Henry Kissinger must be
on Obama’s speed-dial. Just in case the jingoes haven’t got the
point that Obama is all for the bang-bang, he notes again, using that
metaphor so beloved by every Fox News talking head plus terminology
of Rumsfeld vintage, how “we must also become better prepared to put
boots on the ground in order to take on foes that fight asymmetrical
and highly adaptive campaigns on a global scale.”

That last, incidentally, is another considerable contradiction. Three
pages earlier Obama is lecturing us about how the “Bush
administration responded to the unconventional attacks of 9/11 with
conventional thinking of the past, largely viewing problems as state-
based and principally amenable to military solutions.” So what’s
this business about boots on the ground again? Intelligence, in every
sense, is absent.

Obama does emphasize diplomacy. He’s been reading Dennis Ross’
“Statecraft.” But Obama’s openings are severely restricted. Iran
and Syria are OK to talk to. But there’s no mention of opening a
dialogue with Hamas, let alone Hezbollah, the Taliban or al-Qaeda. So
his international diplomatic initiatives are stuck in the very same
“conventional thinking of the past, largely viewing problems as
state-based,” that he so eagerly and justly criticizes Bush for. On
Israel, the best he can say is the same old rehash about Israel
being “our strongest ally in the region” (a doubtful assertion
anymore) and this incredibly obtuse prescription from a few decades
back: “we must help the Israelis identify and strengthen those
partners who are truly committed to peace, while isolating those who
seek conflict and instability.” In other words, don’t talk to
Hamas. How different is that from the Bush approach? Not very.
Obama’s thinking is muddy, haphazard, half-baked. And every few
paragraphs - like money shots in porno movies - he throws in his bit
of brawn to remind us again and again what a tough man he is: “To
defeat al Qaeda, I will build a twenty-first-century military and
twenty-first-century partnerships as strong as the anticommunist
alliance that won the Cold War to stay on the offense everywhere from
Djibouti to Kandahar.” Take cover.

His understanding of this modern-day terrorism seems simplistic to
infantile, too. …