[Peace-discuss] new study racial disparity in US prisons

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 23:41:17 CDT 2007

People may or may nor be surprised, I guess.  But two
quick points:

(1) Certainly it's complicated, but the marginalized
economic/social positions of black Americans in the
southern US over time ought also to be considered in
the same vein as a pretty significant economic event,
even if a long drawn-out one.  And there have
definitely been several waves of displacement in the
Southeast as well as Northeast and "rust belt":
mechanization, concentration of farming capital, all
leading to tremendous numbers added to the infamous
"reserve army of the unemployed" -- and related to the
migration north.  Everybody knows this, I'm just
saying we shouldn't discount it.  (Add to it, by the
way, recent changes such as welfare reform, Katrina,
etc.)

(2) I think what this study likely shows is much more
than a higher crime rate among African Americans,
especially in certain spots, whatever the explanation.
 The study is specifically of incarceration rates,
which we can't assume reflect crime rates.  I know we
understand this as also an indication of racism, the
crime rate and the incarceration rate both being
partly a result of selective attention and selective
treatment of people of color.  I'm not telling anyone
anything with that.  But what I found "surprising",
maybe half tongue in cheek, was that this kind of
racist selectivity wouldn't be obviously more
pronounced in the Deep South compared to a famously
liberal state like Wisconsin -- which by the way has
been experimenting for several years with its own
particularly nasty brand of welfare reform.

OK, that's too long-winded.  Just thought it was worth
thinking about.  I may or may not be right.

Ricky