[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Re: Peace Digest, Vol 42, Issue 20

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 13:22:00 CDT 2007

Matt is exactly right.  We have had many discussions
in AWARE meetings and on email over the years about
the different purposes of our lists.

"Peace" is explicitly for announcements and meeting
minutes, not discussion.  "Peace-discuss" is the
proper venue for posting articles, discussion,
critique, etc.

People often try out the "peace-discuss" list, then
decide that the traffic is to heavy.  Part of what
clogs it, of course, is gratuitous personal attacks
and other unproductive behavior - like Carl's note on
the "peace" list - but sometimes it's simply too much
to keep up with.  People have other things they do,
many of them very thoughtful and very valuable from a
progressive or left perspective.  We cannot define
"thinking" as listening to members of AWARE.

Besides, this is a voluntary organization and our
lists are entirely voluntary.  If people do not want
certain traffic and we insist on putting it on a
particular listserve, they will simply unsubscribe.
There are plenty of examples.

Is that what we want as an organization?  Historically
we have decided that we do not.

Ricky