[Peace-discuss] East Germany

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 24 13:16:38 CDT 2007

I was in Germany for a week following the collapse of East Germany. I tried
to have a conversation with some of the folks who were demonstrating in the
Munich city center for Amnesty International, trying to talk about how now
that the USSR had collapsed, fascism was coming out of the closet. Neither
their English nor my German were really up to this task.

In the Pension where I slept, while sitting in the breakfast room watching
German television, I watched an old German farmer, with tears running down
his face, talking about the collapse of collective farming. I can't give
you an exact account of what he said, because my German is marginal. I have
never seen a farmer cry in my entire life except on German television.

What happened in East Germany after its collapse is very wrong regarding
state property, and has a lot in common with what our government is trying
to do in Iraq.

Bob