[Peace-discuss] Re: Peace Digest, Vol 42, Issue 20

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 24 15:29:57 CDT 2007

> It was a response to the announcement of the rally,
> "no consensus in AWARE about it."
I understand. However, I do think that kind of response is better on Discuss
list. The Peace list people have to use their own judgement. Several events
posted to the Peace list have little to nothing to do with AWARE, so Peace
should beware.

Yep, many of us dislike AAEI stance as a whole. We ar not just against the
surge, we are against the troop presence overall; and we are just as critical
of the Democrats as we are of the Republicans.

One thing in particular for this recent event, I don't agree with its grading
criteria that it used for Johnson's voting record. I am glad they did not ask
me to sign the "report card". They did have us sign something that
basically said we wanted the troops home, and that was just fine with me.

In addition, AAEI is disorganized in the people side of things. They don't
know what to do with people once they have them. I feel like they used us
for 10 seconds in order to take a picture or two and that was it. I think
knowing what to do with people is an extremely hard thing to do. I heard a
similar criticism of the event that Bob Naiman organized at the Urbana war
memorial this Spring.

On the other hand, they are extremely well organized with things like
signs. They have money and a national resource to call on.

I won't swear I won't go to any other events, but honestly I would rather be
hauling heavy furniture than attend another AAEI event.

-karen medina