[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Re: Peace Digest, Vol 42, Issue 20

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 24 20:28:37 CDT 2007

Ricky--

Let's be clear about what happened here.  Matt did not write, "You have
put a comment on a list reserved for announcements, and you shouldn't do
that" (which would have been persnickety enough).

Instead, he entered the argument over the AAEI position and criticized
the substance of what I wrote, by characterizing it as an "ideological
critique of events that other progressives have organized."  (Have you
noticed that "ideological" is the current euphemism for red-baiting?)

He was in fact right in his substantive comment about what the issue is
-- namely, Is the AAEI position in fact progressive? The first line of
my answer insisted that being progressive is precisely what needed
thinking about (and that's hardly a g.p.a.)

Of course, it's a fine debating technique to assert your position and
then declare no further statements should be made in this venue...

I'll be happy to enter this disingenuity sweepstakes and leave it to the
judgment of the candid reader.

Regards, Carl