[Peace-discuss] Conyers' betrayal

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:12:15 CDT 2007

At 10:32 PM 7/24/2007, Morton K. Brussel wrote:

>Conyers has impeachment protestors handcuffed and removed from his office,
>saying impeachment is "off the table".  The following is from an article
>by Dave Lindorff. The disappointment and anger at the betrayal is palpable.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the Democratic Party-Congressional
>Black Caucus and Progressive Caucus included–has become nothing but a
>dried out husk, living on old glories and devoid of any principle other
>than returning its elected officials to their offices and their perks,
>year after year. As one angry activist in the hallway remarked, “Where is
>today’s (Rep. Allard) Lowenstein or Father Drinan. There is none!”

>For the rest,
>see
><http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/07/24/2720/>http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/07/24/2720/
>
>It may well be that Pelosi has some strange power over Conyers, or is it
>just that Conyers is a colossal hypocrite and a dried out husk. He's lost
>a lot with his actions in this event. The antiwar movement just has to
>turn up the pressure that much more, come back at him and others in power
>again and again.
>
>--mkb

I must say that I'm saddened and just a bit shocked.  I was one who sent
Conyers a fax urging impeachment.  In my personal note to him, I thanked
him for his (relative) integrity as a representative "of the people", along
with Barbara Lee and Cynthia McKinney.  It's one thing to conclude that he
doesn't have enough support in the House for impeachment, but quite another
to have peaceful protestors arrested.

John Wason