[Peace-discuss] The people revisited

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 12:19:40 CDT 2007

Actually, I think people will often act if they think
it will do any good.  And that usually isn't clear at
all.

That's a big part of people not voting, for example -
I like Piven and Cloward's "Why Americans Still Don't
Vote" - and other examples, down to the big dropoff in
protestors after the invasion of Iraq, when we failed
to stop it.

I agree that there's no quick fix.  What's required is
organizing people, getting out and talking to them in
whatever forum we can, and follow-up, follow-up,
follow-up (when people take a step, we need to always
be ready to ask them to take another next step, and we
need to try to help people who have ideas and want to
take action, etc.).

I'd be careful about generalizing about what people
have experienced, however, or about comparing
suffering.

Ricky