[Peace-discuss] Language

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 27 15:33:05 CDT 2007

Uh, why didn't Al just laugh, then?

What I actually said was,

"In spite of this record, there seemed to be a notable hesitation on the
part of some members of AWARE to call Obama on his support for the war.
Prompted by the complaints of one black Democrat after the town meeting,
several members decided that leafleting Obama's rally had been 'rude'
and that the leaflet 'demonized' him. They took the uncomfortable
position that AWARE needed to treat black politicians differently from
white politicians.

"With respect for my colleagues in AWARE, that's nonsense -- it's
patronizing or hypocritical, if not racist. A senator in favor of
continuing the war, as Obama is, has blood on his hands, whether he's
black or white, from voting for continued appropriations and
confirmation of the executives who make war. Anti-warriors who fail to
say so because of the senator's race find themselves covertly supporting
the war."

You can read my account of the incident in CounterPunch for 29 September
2005, "Obama the Enabler: Illinois Anti-Warriors and the Attractive
Senator" <http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook09292005.html>. --CGE