[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Blackwater USA- disturbing article

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 08:26:46 CDT 2007

This university is rife with unsavory connections. If you go to South Research Park, you'll find SAIC and Caterpillar (which has sponsored concerts there this summer).

Jan & Durl Kruse <jandurl at insightbb.com> wrote:  AWARE Members:
Some of you are already working on this topic. As moderator for the
ILCPJ web-tool, I received the following (disturbing article) email
below. Some in the Blackwater Working Group may want to contact those
around the state working on this area of concern, especially now that
there seems to be a local University connection. (for law enforcement
agencies to serve their communities).........
Brings to mind last November (IHSA ) and the local (campus and
Champaign) police, national guard and citizen confrontation at Memorial
Stadium.........
JAN K
Blackwater USA's new training facility in Illinois. It is located on
South Skunk Hollow Road, seven miles north of Mt. Carroll Illinois, in
Jo Daviess County. It is about 40 miles from Galena. Blackwater now has
a University of Illinois connection read more below:
Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> , Jan and Durl Kruse
>
> Subject: Blackwater - disturbing article
>
> It's a great idea! I would take it a step further and make a letter
> writing campaign into an action to post on the AOT, followed up by
> calls to admins asking them to send it out to their member groups
> (could talk about Aug. 11th at the same time) and to go to the grid
> to vote for it. If we reach threshold, the letter writing campaign
> could then go to out to the email list with the potential to go out to
> over 3000. See action at: www.ilcpj.org
>
> A sample letter could be put together or at the very least, detailed
> talking points for folks to use in composing their own letters or to
> use in calls to those offices. My knowledge of our university system
> is woefully inadequate, but is there some kind of governing board or
> directors whom we could also write?
>
> I'm copying a couple of our most active groups in Champaign and the
> mid-state area.
>
> Seems like another angle we could use to get the whole Blackwater
> story into the press.
>
> marcia
>
> On Jul 28, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Dan Kenney wrote:
>
>> Good idea --- I agree. The President of the University of Illinois is
>> B.
>> Joseph White, email address: President White at uillinois.edu and the
>> director
>> of the Uof I Police Training Institute is Tom Dempsey, email address:
>> tdempsey at uiuc.edu.
>>
>> Also write to local state representatives and state senators.
>>
>> Dan
>>>
>>> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:37:15 -0500
>>>
>>> Dear Friends:
>>>
>>> I suggest we write letters of protest to the U of I and express our
>>> deep
>>> concern.
>>>

>>> Press Release: Blackwater USA and University of Illinois Police
>>> Training Institute Announce Partnership
>>>
>>> 07/23/2007| Print this article | EMail this article to a
>>> friend |
>>>
>>> Blackwater USA and University of Illinois Police Training
>>> Institute Announce Partnership
>>> Moyock NC - Blackwater USA is pleased to announce its newly
>>> formed partnership with the University of Illinois at
>>> Urbana-Champaign
>>> Police Training Institute (PTI). Together we will pursue
>>> international and
>>> domestic training opportunities to better equip law enforcement
>>> agencies
>>> and officers to serve their communities.
>>>
>>> "We are always looking for opportunities to assist in the
>>> training of American law enforcement professionals," said Blackwater
>>> Vice
>>> President for Training Jim Sierawski. "The University of Illinois
>>> PTI has
>>> a proven record of excellence in equipping officers to do their jobs
>>> as
>>> best as possible and we look forward to working with them."
>>>
>>> The agreement is for a five-year period. Areas of

>>> b.. Exchange of students
>>> c.. Joint research activities
>>> d.. Joint planning efforts
>>> e.. Participation in seminars and training and academic
>>> meetings
>>> f.. Exchange of materials and information