[Peace-discuss] Blackwater USA and University of Illinois Police Training Institute

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 31 14:00:43 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:05:29PM -0500, Robert Naiman  wrote:
> Not only might this violate UIUC rules, it might violate State of
> Illinois rules.
>
> As anyone on this list knows who has been a UI employee in the last
> several years, to be a UI employee, even a teaching assistant, you
> have to take and pass an annual online ethics training, where you
> certify that you know what the rules are. This was part of the
> post-Ryan Blago ethics reforms.
>
> Is there a State of Illinois investigation...?

There was mention of this on WILL-AM this morning too.
Apparently there *is* some sort of UIUC investigation at least --
Provost Linda Katehi was quoted as saying that the U was
trying to determine whether Dempsey had been employed by
Blackwater at the time of the contract.  A later report
mentioned that they are trying to contact Dempsey
(still in Afghanistan) by phone this week.

If the N-G doesn't have an article about this soon,
no news will be bad news...