[Peace-discuss] CAN to Sheehan: we need you

martin smith send2smith at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 11:16:44 CDT 2007

PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY!

Open Letter to Cindy Sheehan: We need you now more than ever

We remember first hearing about you standing up to Bush in Crawford,
Texas with admiration and hope. Just months before he had been
re-elected, not because the majority of people supported the war, but
because John Kerry offered us nothing for which to vote. He provided
no alternative to the neocon strategy of more war and barbarism.

Instead, you did.

Since then, larger and larger numbers of people have turned against
Bush and the war, in constant search for more ways to resist. Bush now
has an approval rating lower than Nixon during the Watergate scandal.

It was disheartening to read your decision to leave the antiwar
movement because of how you were treated and slandered by Republicans,
and now liberals. They may see you as a pawn on a chessboard but we
see you as a courageous woman who took a stand when it was the
hardest. You have sacrificed so much, particularly your health and
precious time with your children, in the struggle for a better world
and on behalf of the student antiwar movement: thank you. The revival
of the antiwar movement today is in debt to you.

You remind us of Rosa Parks. When you camped out at Camp Casey, you
also embodied the history of ordinary people in this country sitting
in and standing up until their voices were heard. You decided to keep
fighting because those who are most affected by Bush's war for oil and
empire often have no other choice: family members who have lost
children, Iraq veterans and active duty soldiers who now oppose the
mission for which they were sent, and the people throughout the Middle
East who have witnessed decades of economic sanction and military
occupation. Iraq is now experiencing the largest refugee crisis in the
world. Close to a million Iraqis are now dead. Thousands of US
soldiers have died, many of whom turned against the war. The vast
majority of Iraqis, Americans and US soldiers oppose the continuation
of war in Iraq.

Who will put an end to it?

Your anger at the failure of the Democratic Party to end the war is
justified. The November election was a referendum on the war in Iraq
and since then, not only has the Democratic Party refused to call for
an immediate withdrawal of US troops, but they have decided to remove
mention of a timetable from the most recent legislation.

The Democratic Party has no intention of ending the war, only
continuing it by other means, most recently to the tune of $120
billion dollars. This is why the Campus Antiwar Network and Iraq
Veterans Against the War in Madison, Wisconsin decided to stage a
sit-in at Senator Kohl's office. This is why the Campus Antiwar
Network
in San Francisco sent a delegation to Nancy Pelosi's office to demand
an end to the Democrat's funding of the war.

Antiwar politicians do not continue to fund wars.

The fact that the Democratic Party, like the Republican Party,
continues to use us as cannon fodder for their war means we need to
build an antiwar movement independent of both. Our demands must no
longer be shaped by what they deem "reasonable" or what will make them
"electable". We must not only put forward our own demands but build
the type of grassroots organization that can see them through.

The Campus Antiwar Network in New York City recently participated in
Iraq Veterans Against the War's "Operation First Casualty", a moving
street theatre that conducted raids and set up check points throughout
the city in order to bring the war home. This was inspired by similar
actions that were taken during the Vietnam War. Similar to today, the
White House and Pentagon dragged out an increasingly savage and
hopeless slaughter as long as possible, and refused to acknowledge
even being affected by the antiwar movement. This was disorienting to
activists who had faith in American democracy. Many dejectedly
concluded that protests are ineffective. Yet they were part of a
movement that proved just the opposite! Congress, dominated by the
Democrats, complained more loudly each year about the war, but it
never stopped funding it. The war might still be going on today if it
were left up to them. Fortunately, it wasn't.

Martin Luther King Jr. in 1963 was jailed in Birmingham, Alabama for
protesting what he termed the "broken promises" of liberal
politicians. The civil rights movement made a decision to abandon the
idea of negotiation and instead demand power through direct action.
King stated in a letter from Birmingham jail that
"moderates...paternalistically believes he can set a timetable for
another man's freedom...We know through painful experience that
freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be
demanded by the oppressed...Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed
forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself."

We have a lot of work ahead of us. We live in the belly of the beast -
a beast founded on slavery and imperial ambition, with no human price
too high. But we also have the majority of people on our side, in this
country and around the world, who want to see things change. And
because of this, the beast is wounded.

What we need now is a new strategy. One based on self-activity, not
reliance on the Democrats, similar to your stand in Crawford nearly
two years ago. Similar to the sit-ins that are taking place in
Democratic offices, similar to the decision of hundreds of students,
faculty and staff at UMass-Amherst to disrupt their commencement
ceremony to demand Andrew Card not be given an honorary degree, and
similar to the recent refusal of Oakland longshoremen to cross an
anti-war picket line demanding an end of arm shipments. The yearning
for freedom and justice are manifesting itself before our eyes
everyday.

It is still time for the "antiwar chorus to start singing" and now is
not the time to give up, but instead raise the cost of war at home.
We hope you can come back soon, because the movement needs you now
more than ever.

Best,

Leia Petty, Brooklyn College; Katrina Yeaw, San Francisco State
University; Chris Dols, University of Wisconsin - Madison; Fred
Magdoff, Professor, University of Vermont; Mark S. Clinton, Professor,
Holyoke Community College; Chris Mobley; Nancy Farrel; Michelle
Suchenski; Sam Bernstein, Yale University 2005; Donna Mummery;
Christopher Dugan; Steve Leigh; Marianna Zotos; Ernie Seewer; Cindy
Klumb, CAN Pratt Brooklyn; Paul Lynch II, Rhode Island College,
Providence; Tom Dowling; Michael G. Smith, University of California,
Berkeley; Gary Lapon, Williams College 2005; Rebecca Anshell, San
Diego, CA; William Kelly; Moncrieff Cochran; Luise Light, M.S., Ed.D.;
Jeff Martin, UC Berkeley, California; Kenneth Love, Rochester
Institute of Technology; Justino Rodriguez, The City College of New
York; Rayyan Ghuma, University of Maryland- College Park; Snehal
Shingavi, UC Berkeley; Yuval Sivan, University of Massachusetts

CAMPUS ANTIWAR NETWORK- www.campusantiwar.net

[To add your name as a signatory to this letter, please email
charlest.peterson at gmail.com]