[Peace-discuss] Another view of amnesty for illegal workers -- P S

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 14:50:36 CDT 2007

Unfortunately, this is not really "another" view of
the issue.  It's the dominant one.  We can't be humane
toward workers who are fleeing (primarily the
conditions our government and our nation's
corporations are creating in) their own countries,
because we have our own mouths to feed.  Etc.

Sure, there's a twist there that we don't *expect*
from the rightwing anti-immigrant folks: 'But what
about African Americans?'  But that just shows how
naive we often are.  Just because a racist group may
not *care* about black Americans doesn't mean they
can't *appeal* to liberal sympathies toward black
Americans... or appeal to black Americans with this
kind of narrow argument.

But consider the alternative:  Increasingly we allow
free reign to capital to operate across borders, to
dodge labor and other standards, but we keep the
workers who suffer from these policies imprisoned in
borders, perhaps lined by heavily guarded Berlin-style
walls.

Now, of course, we may argue that the problem there is
NAFTA, etc.  And it is.  But likewise the fact that
racism exists in the US is not the fault of
immigrants, and should be dealt with on its own
merits, not either-or.

We shouldn't let them play us.
Ricky