[Peace-discuss] Mamdani on Darfur

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 4 15:40:34 CDT 2007

Some of you may have heard Mahmood Mamdani on Democracy Now! today.
Amy Goodman mentioned his article in the London Review of Books.  It is
in the 8 March issue, pages 5-8.  We have it in the University's
English Library, 3rd floor of the main library. If you didn't see/hear
the show, I recommend listening online.

I would categorize his article as an elegant argument for a diplomatic
solution in solidarity with the African Union and factions within all
the groups on the ground.  He says it is a civil war, very much like
what is going on now in Iraq.  He is highly critical of journalists who
can' see the context, and especially critical of the Save Darfur
coalition for calling for "humanitarian intervention," meaning military
intervention which can only make things worse in the rest of Sudan and
in the region.

Al Kagan
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive