[Peace-discuss] AWARE meeting parking, and, "No to Israeli Occupation of Palestine" 40-year solidarity protest on Sunday 6/10, say 4pm?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 9 15:08:29 CDT 2007

A confluence of two events tomorrow:

According to a note from the IMC steering committee (passed along
by Barbara Kessel), the police will be holding some sort of an
exercise tomorrow (Sun 6/10, noon-8pm), and they'll block off
parts of Elm and Broadway.  "Any groups planning Sunday meetings
or events should be aware of this and have alternative parking plans."

I've no idea what the police exercise might be for.
But Bob Illyes suggested at the Farmer's Market today
that it might be worth staging a protest, on the IMC grounds,
on Sunday afternoon.

It turns out that tomorrow is an apt time to hold a demonstration.
Several groups, including United for Peace and Justice,
Peace Action, a wide coalition called endtheoccupation.org,
and I don't know who all else are organizing nationwide events
on June 10 & 11 to protest the Israeli occupation of Palestine,
which has now gone on for 40 years.

Included below is a note from Peace Action, who are holding an event
tomorrow in Chicago.  I'm not proposing trying to attend that,
but would anyone be interested in holding signs on the IMC grounds
tomorrow before the AWARE meeting, say around 4 PM?

Given that the police will have the streets blocked off, we
wouldn't likely get much traffic.  Though we may get to talk with
some police.

If anyone else is tempted by this idea, can you think of any
suitable signs?  The endtheoccupation.org site includes a
striking poster which I'll try to print a couple copies of; at
   http://www.endtheoccupation.org/article.php?id=1290
it's the "11x17 inch mobilizing poster", with a photo of
a massive tank with gun aimed at two fleeing small boys.

Here's the note about the Chicago event: