[Peace-discuss] Anti-Immigrant in Black Face?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 21:45:31 CDT 2007

First and simplest, Fletcher mentions an assault since
the 1970's because before that wages and working
conditions for African Americans were improving.
Another migration North, good jobs in steel, autos,
etc., followed by a steep decline - hit hardest once
again when American workers in general took a big hit.
  It's a particular trend, the latest phase in a
centuries long pattern of abuse, you might say.  He's
obviously not arguing that everything was peaches and
cream before 1970.

More obvious, what's "new" is that Fletcher is
responding to particular campaign: the very one you
brought up (which, as I was saying, is itself old wine
in new bottles).

And, yes, Fletcher's *reminding* us (hopefully
reminding, or if not, informing us) that pitting one
abused worker against another is not the solution to
injustice.

Have more men been out of work or paid less because
more women have been working, usually being paid less?
 Does it mean women shouldn't be allowed to work?  Are
white workers' wages lower because black Americans are
in the workforce getting less pay?  Isn't that exactly
what having an underclass is all about?  No matter who
that underclass is?

I think it's also worth mentioning, in the particular
case of the Mexican border, where most of the
attention seems focussed, that slaveholders from the
US stole much of that land in the first place from
Mexico, and that before that many of the peoples - if
we must group workers by descent in order to discuss
this - that are crossing that border (Mayan, etc.)
were uprooted and displaced by a European invasion,
followed by subsequent attacks including US trade and
drug policies that are now forcing them off their
land.

Is that the fault of African Americans?  Is it the
fault of the people being coerced off their land?  I'd
argue it's no one's fault except the ones who are
doing it.  I'd also argue our time is better spent
focussing on the real enemy instead of quarreling over
who took whose place in line at the soup kitchen,
methadone clinic, or the line up for the truck to go
to that 10-12 hour a day job harvesting potatoes.

Hope that clarifies.
Ricky

http://www.blackcommentator.com/231/231_cover_anti_immigrant_in_black_face_fletcher_ed_bd.html

> [...]
> > in a
> > prison-like environment, and frequently cheated
> out
> > of
> > pay.
> >
> > No, Mr. Fair and your cohorts, the problem is not
> > the
> > immigrant worker. The problem is the system. And,
> > just as African American workers were used in
> > certain
> > industries as low-wage workers in the late 19th
> and
> > early-to-mid 20th centuries, in order to undercut
> > higher paid workers, this changed dramatically
> > through
> > a combination of unionization and the Black
> Freedom
> > Movement.
> >
> > What lessons can we draw from this?
> >
> > * As long as there is a vulnerable workforce,
> > capitalists will seek them out to utilize against
> > other workers.
> >
> > * Low-wage workers will not be competitors if they
> > cease being low-wage workers, i.e., if they are
> > unionized and gain power in their workplaces or
> > jobs.
> >
> > * Part of changing the character of work can be
> > found in the demands of a social movement that
> > combines the fight for political and social
> > justice, with economic justice. To a great extent,
> > the crisis facing the Black worker today can be
> > linked to the failure of the Black Freedom
> Movement
> > to pursue the path suggested by Dr. King toward
> the
> > end of his life, that united the fights for racial
> > justice with economic justice along with what
> later
> > came to be known as global justice.
> >
> > Without disrespecting the life and history of Mr.
> > Fair,
> > who I am sure made contributions to our struggle
> for
> > justice, somewhere along the line he fell prey to
> > the
> > emotional and hallucinatory appeal of attacking
> > immigrants as a means of saving the Black worker.
> > Not
> > only is this morally bankrupt, but it is also
> > politically bankrupt. If we do not have an
> accurate
> > analysis of the problem, we cannot possibly
> develop
> > good strategy to resolve it. Or, perhaps it was
> > better
> > and more succinctly put by the Cheshire Cat in
> Alice
> > in
> > Wonderland when he said, "if you don't know where
> > you
> > want to go, any road will get you there."
> > _____
> >
> > BC Editorial Board member, Bill Fletcher, Jr. is a
> > long-time labor and international activist and
> > writer.

> Building a website is a piece of cake.
> Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get
online.