[Peace-discuss] IMC Reporter Kicked Out of Press Conference

Marti tvchick at insightbb.com
Mon Jun 11 08:33:28 CDT 2007

I just got off the phone with Rene Dunn. When I asked her about what
happened on Friday she told me that she is working with BD on this. I also
asked her what criteria does the Champaign Police Department use to
determine who is, and isn't, a member of the press.  She told me that she
would need to discuss this with Chief Finney and that she would get back to
me on this.

When law enforcement agencies are allowed to determine who is, and isn't, a
member of the press this can set a dangerous precedent. Anyone who writes
for a newspaper be it the News-Gazette, the Public I, or the Daily Illini
has the right to consider themselves members of the press. The same holds
true for someone who writes for broadcast and cable.  What happened on
Friday and the fact that Ms. Dunn managed to avoid addressing my concerns
shows that the Champaign Police Department has a marked preference for
reporters who will provide favorable coverage.

If there is anyone else who feels that Chief Finney and the Champaign Police
Department was wrong in refusing BD admission to the press conference I urge
you to speak out. I'm open to ideas on how we can best advocate on behalf of
the public right to know.

Marti Wilkinson

  _____