[Peace-discuss] IMC Reporter Kicked Out of Press Conference

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 14:10:39 CDT 2007

Surely it isn't the police who determine who is and who isn't a member of the Press! The question is, who does? Cheaper/easier to ask that question of a ref librarian than a lawyer, so I will!

  Later,
  Jenifer

Marti <tvchick at insightbb.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I just got off the phone with Rene Dunn. When I asked her about what happened on Friday she told me that she is working with BD on this. I also asked her what criteria does the Champaign Police Department use to determine who is, and isn’t, a member of the press.  She told me that she would need to discuss this with Chief Finney and that she would get back to me on this.

  When law enforcement agencies are allowed to determine who is, and isn’t, a member of the press this can set a dangerous precedent. Anyone who writes for a newspaper be it the News-Gazette, the Public I, or the Daily Illini has the right to consider themselves members of the press. The same holds true for someone who writes for broadcast and cable.  What happened on Friday and the fact that Ms. Dunn managed to avoid addressing my concerns shows that the Champaign Police Department has a marked preference for reporters who will provide favorable coverage.

  If there is anyone else who feels that Chief Finney and the Champaign Police Department was wrong in refusing BD admission to the press conference I urge you to speak out. I’m open to ideas on how we can best advocate on behalf of the public right to know.

  Marti Wilkinson