[Peace-discuss] Re: IMC reporter kicked out of CPD briefing

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 11 21:16:40 CDT 2007

There are certainly objectionable things is both documents -- e.g., the
Declaration's Nazi-like approach to race ("the merciless Indian Savages,
whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all
ages, sexes and conditions") and the Manifesto's lavish praise of
capitalism ("The bourgeoisie ... has been the first to show what human
activity can bring about").

But there are certainly valuable things in each that pertain to our
present situation -- e.g., the Declaration's assertion that no state has
a "right to exist," and the Manifesto's strong assertion of democracy
(absent of course from the Declaration).

It would be more worthwhile to see how what they say applies to our
present situation (or is irrelevant to it) than simply to use them as
shibboleths.  --CGE